Subject: Re: Where did devel/php4-pcre go?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2003 09:51:43
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Todd Vierling wrote:

: I don't see pcre linked into any php4 module after the 4.3.3 update.  Why
: was devel/php4-pcre deleted without a replacement!?

OK, so it appears a version of pcre is "bundled" with php4.  I don't think
this is necessarily a good thing; pkgsrc will typically rely on an external
library in such cases, in order to be able to gain security and other bug
fixes not included in the bundled copy.

Which, IMO, means that devel/php4-pcre should be brought back.

If it will not be brought back, however, www/php4/Makefile.php needs a
comment fix to remove reference to "pcre":

# mysql, pgsql, pcre) may be dynamically loaded, and are separately packaged

and the MESSAGE should note that pcre is now builtin rather than an
extension (since anyone doing extensions=pcre.so in php.ini will now break).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>