Subject: Re: The 'rc.d' framework and startup scripts
To: Jaka Jejcic <keks@kibla.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/03/2003 21:09:09
On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:41:56PM +0200, Jaka Jejcic wrote:

> I think the best way is to use pkg rc subsystem on all platforms and os',
> even on default NetBSD.
> Automatization is not necessary since only one startup script could
> be manualy inserted in system's startup (i may be wrong on this one ;)

right, and pkgtools/rc.subr does not (yet) provide rcorder or
equivalent functionality, but it does allow these rc scripts to be
used.

I'm personally against providing "portable" versions of startup
scripts as well as rc.d style, even if both versions are contained in
the same file. we already have packages which provide this
portability, and using them is a lot less work than reinventing the
wheel (and it's much cleaner).

g.