Subject: Re: MAKE_PROGRAM and
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julien T. Letessier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/28/2003 15:04:20

Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Hmmm.... but it seems only rarely would such tools be all required
> together, at least on NetBSD (and of course linux, but maybe more often
> on the likes of Solaris and other pkgsrc target platforms).

That's why only links the tools required by USE_GNU_TOOLS in
${TOOLS_DIR}. Besides, the pkgsrc versions of the tools will only be
pulled in if the OS doesn't have them.

> I don't have any huge objection to using all the GNU tools together to
> build stuff that needs to use one of more of them for whatever reason
> (other than the fact that generally they run slower and occupy a heck of
> a lot more VM :-), though I think it's more elegant to be explicit about
> which special tools are needed to build somethign (and on which host
> platforms).  It also seems that documenting exactly what tools are
> needed, and why, and where, seems to be prudent for pkgsrc.

That's the idea -- originally was written by Grant in response
to pkg/17776, which addressed the issue of Solaris' 'grep' not beeing
good enough.

IMO a proper use of is the following:

.include "../../mk/"

.if ${OPSYS} == "SunOS"
# Sun's "sed" cant' handle enough command-line arguments

Does this seem prudent enough?

> Besides, if you've got to change all occurances of USE_GMAKE into
> USE_GNU_TOOLS+=make then you've only wasted everyone's time and energy
> for zero gain.  Just leave USE_GMAKE alone and hide the magic to
> implement it in the one place it's necessary.

Well, it'd be easy enough to search-and-replace instances of USE_GMAKE
throughout pkgsrc. Leaving it alone and hiding the magic away is
cleaner, but perhaps we should add some flavor of

WARNING: USE_GMAKE is deprecated. Use instead, see Package.txt
for details.

when a package says USE_GMAKE?

> Thanks very much for the explanation!

No problem. I didn't want you to think this shiny new wheel part of
pkgsrc was junk :)

Julien T. Letessier
Solarpack Project

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail & vCards

Key fingerprint = F1A3 C564 09FE 07A6 0327  7474 0F9F 5594 F657 9673

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -