Subject: Re: Solaris pkgsrc
To: Julien T. Letessier <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/24/2003 22:40:35

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:54:47PM +0200, Julien T. Letessier wrote:
> A few question for the Solaris guru:

> What compiler do you use ? pkgsrc's gcc-2.95.3 ?

SunONE Studio 8 Compiler Collection (or whatever is it called this

> What's the recommended way of building 64-bit binaries ?

i don't have 64-bit machine running Solaris atm..

> I've been avoiding Sun's compile chain as much as possible, because I
> don't know much about Sun's ABI specificities. But then, even if there
> is a performance hit when using 32-bit binaries compiled with GCC on
> sparc64 machines, it doesn't seem to be very significant.

well, i tend to do exactly the opposite :).  the performance hit *is*
significant.  the older gcc and newer machine/cpu, the bigger it is, up
to 33% from benchmarks we did some time ago at my daily job (2.95.x, 3.1
vs. Forte 6.2u2, 7 on U10, E3500 and SF4800).  unfortunately, i don't
have the exact numbers anymore.  gcc-2.95.x produced code on US-III cpus
is laughably slow compared to the code produces by the native compiler
with appropriate optimizations.

i'll try to provide some benchmarks for the MP SS10 i have at home,
which is running Solaris 9.  i can only tell that especially
applications using SSL feel much faster and Gtk+ apps just scream
UI-wise after i started using Sun compilers with pkgsrc.  (just don't
hold your breath since i am currently without a suitable net connection
at home and won't boot my machines any soon.. :/)

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>                   --

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (NetBSD)