Subject: Re: Solaris pkgsrc
To: grant beattie <>
From: Julien T. Letessier <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/24/2003 21:54:47

grant beattie wrote:

> (catching up on mail..)

Back from your holidays ? ;)

> I've not used GNU binutils on Solaris at all and never had a problem
> with the native linker or assembler, and you need them for 64-bit
> binaries.

A few question for the Solaris guru:
What compiler do you use ? pkgsrc's gcc-2.95.3 ?
What's the recommended way of building 64-bit binaries ?
Is there a simple way to produce "fat" (both 32- and 64-bit) binaries
using gcc (like it's possible on PowerPC) ?

> if Julien has had good success with GNU binutils, let's provide a
> way to use both easily, everyone wins :)

I've been avoiding Sun's compile chain as much as possible, because I
don't know much about Sun's ABI specificities. But then, even if there
is a performance hit when using 32-bit binaries compiled with GCC on
sparc64 machines, it doesn't seem to be very significant.

Julien T. Letessier
Solarpack Project

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail & vCards

Key fingerprint = F1A3 C564 09FE 07A6 0327  7474 0F9F 5594 F657 9673

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -