Subject: Re: pkg/22506: Not all Linux systems have gmake by default
To: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/23/2003 11:38:45
--wzJLGUyc3ArbnUjN

Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 08/23 10:23, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > Well, bootstrap-pkgsrc does just that.  It first builds 'bmake', but in
> > order to build 'bmake', you do -- once again -- need *a* make.  :-)
>=20
> But it doesn't have to be so. That is not the case with our src builds.
> I'll look into pulling a similar procedure into bootstrap-pkgsrc and
> send-pr it.

Ah, I see.  Yes, that probably would be quite nice.  In the mean time,
it seems to me that your fix for defs.Linux.mk are appropriate and I'll
commit them, but we should close the PR only after the bootstrap-process
no longer relies on a system 'make' to be present.

Let's take this to tech-pkg@, should there be any more discussion,
though.

-Jan

--=20