Subject: Re: non-flat depends [was: Re: Package Views Integration
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 20:25:39
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> wrote:

> Fine with me, but remember that pkg/21097 is a prerequisite for the above.
> If DEPENDS still registers recursively (which, as I've noted, should be
> removable), you'll be masked from most of the bad side effects necessary to
> know what buildlink recursions should *not* be split apart.

Yep, both things have to be fixed.

> (There's another thread whose title escapes me where I defined this in
> detail.  In short:  If app A has to have -lB to link and that pulls in -lC
> indirectly, no recursion is needed, because it only cares about the ABI of
> libB.  If app A needs -lB -lC to link and/or needs the headers of libC to
> compile, it needs to have DEPENDS registered for *both* because it's ABI
> dependent on both.)

But this has to be reviewed specifically for each package (this is why doing
it now, when this has to be done anyway for the pkgviews integration, may be
good).  And (usually) configure scripts are quite verbose about why they
look for specifically (and for gnome2 packages using pkgconfig it is even
clearer ;).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>