Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 13:39:25
[ On Thursday, August 21, 2003 at 00:46:57 (-0700), Johnny Lam wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
>
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:14:51AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > How are those of us who would very much rather avoid having to deal with
> > a billion symlinks on our systems supposed to avoid this mess being
> > foisted upon us?
>
> We have an eye toward using hardlinks instead of softlinks to save on
> the inodes usage and to avoid the extra indirection, but that will be
> somewhere in the future.  The current implementation and testing has
> been done with softlinks and the initial package views integration
> will be using the softlinks approach.

But I _really_ do not want any kind of links or any kind of "depot"
structure at all.

I want everything installed directly in the final desired location, just
like it is now.

I.e. I really need and want some kind of flag that turns the whole mess
completely off, 100% guaranteed.

Ideally I would also hope it wouldn't ever risk affecting the current
method of installing packages for anyone tracking pkgsrc and not wanting
to use pkgviews at all.

(calling the non-"depot", i.e. current, scheme the "overwrite" method is
a severe misnomer since the package management tools "ensure" there are
no clashes between files)

--
						Greg A. Woods