Subject: Re: lightweight groff package?
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 11:13:41
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Sean Davis wrote:

: It is my understanding that ARTS needs KDE. If neither QT or ARTS need KDE,
: then why does mplayer go off building kdebase unless you disable ARTS in
: mk.conf?

I do use KDE, but the arts package depends on qt3-libs (and qt3-tools for
building), and kdebase depends on arts (not the other way round).  At the
time you tried building and saw this behavior, the following line in
audio/arts/buildlink.mk may not have been commented out:

#.include "../../x11/kde3/buildlink2.mk"

IMNSHO, the above shouldn't even be there.  arts can run perfectly happily
without any KDE apps or libraries, as I've seen on a friend's GNOME-based
NetBSD box.

As of this writing, I can see no way that mplayer can depend on kde*
packages, though by default it will depend on arts, which depends on
qt3-{libs,tools}.

: > But if you can turn it off in mk.conf, then there is no problem.

: I suppose I agree, but it would be nice if it were easier to find the knobs
: than to have to dig through bsd.pkg.mk. (as in, if there were an MKOPTIONS
: file in the pkgsrc dirs, that listed the different options for that package.
: I realize that would be a lot of work, its not really a suggestion, but it
: would be nice.)

mk/bsd.pkg.defaults.mk is one such place, though it's getting kind of large.
It should probably be split sometime into package-specific and pkgsrc-global
bits.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>