Subject: Re: Package Views Integration (finally!)
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/21/2003 11:24:08
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:00:16 -0700
Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org> wrote:

> A new buildlink3 framework that takes advantage of depoted packages
> will also be added to pkgsrc as part of the package views changes.
> Buildlink3 uses wrapper scripts much like buildlink2, but it will no
> longer symlink files into ${BUILDLINK_DIR} since we can safely refer
> to only a specific package's files by passing the appropriate -I<dir>
> and -L<dir> flags to the compiler, where <dir> is a subdirectory of
> the package's depot directory.  A "pkgviews" package must be converted
> to use buildlink3.  Some highlights of pkgviews packages:
>
>       * fully dynamic PLISTs
>       * multiple versions of the same package may be depoted and
> 	co-exist without problems

Actually, buildlink2 is the main cause of the recursive dependancy
registration problem, because all included buildlink2.mk files are
treated as direct dependancies.

As the conversion to pkgviews and buildlink3 will be done on a package
basis (right?), it may be good to try to fix this problem from the
beginning, and at the same time the conversion is done (to avoid having
to review all the packages again in a "near?" future).

What about this?

Thanks.

PS: I know I told you this personally, but lets see what other people
thinks, too ;)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>