Subject: Re: info/dir is empty with pkg_install-info
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2003 19:03:19
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Stoned Elipot wrote:

> > The gmake install said:
> >
> >  install-info: /usr/info/dir: empty file
> >
> > That file is zero bytes.
>
> In which step does this occur? make install or pkg_add of a binary pkg?

make install

> > It should probably install a skeleton info/dir if it doesn't exist. (I
> > added one and it worked.)
>
> It is not necessary, newer install-info(1) -like the one provided
> by pkg_install-info, which is only a renamed install-info from GNU
> Texinfo 4.5- creates the Info directory file if it does not already exist.

I had a zero byte "dir" file so I guess that is why it didn't create it.

The problem was that I previouly installed old textutils-2.0 from a binary
package. It had:

@exec [ -f %D/info/dir ] || sed -ne '1,/Menu:/p' /usr/share/info/dir > %D/info/dir

The "dir" file didn't exist and /usr/share/info/dir didn't exist so the
new info/dir was created (as zero bytes).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/