Subject: Re: Solaris pkgsrc
To: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2003 12:43:28
--tctmm6wHVGT/P6vA

hi,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 12:28:23PM +0200, Julien T. Letessier wrote:
>=20
> Lubomir, could you give some details about the problems you've
> encounterd with GNU ld on sparc64? We at Solarpack use it exclusively
> to build our packages, and we've never encountered any problems.

corrupted libraries, unresolved symbols when they are there, problems
with linking agains 64-bit libraries, to name a few.  it was some time
ago but i don't believe it has changed that much (and i am not willing
to waste my time trying it again).

that said, if you can make it work with GNU binutils AND Solaris ld, go
for it.  99% of the software in pkgsrc links just fine with Solaris ld
(only some minor tweaking of the broken packages might be needed) but i
am strongly against using GNU binutils as the preferable toolchain for
Solaris/pkgsrc (and i believe i am not the only one who was beaten with
the problems mentioned, grant?).

> And about Solaris ld, our opinion is that pkgsrc should be made as
> independent as possible from the underlying platform tools (whose
> evolution and behavior we don't control). The good side of this is
> that packages are usually designed for a GNU tool chain, and are
> therefore much more portable if you use the same tool chain
> everywhere.

independent, yes.  GNU binutils preferable, no.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --