Subject: Re: lightweight groff package?
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@users.sourceforge.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2003 12:40:16
--------------enig7677E44D021350494E6F7C05

Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> let me add a comment here...
>
> There are many packages overloaded with features that are deemed optional by
> the originating software authors/developers. In some cases, packages have
> been patched beyond recognition to suit the needs of the package maintainer.
>
> Why not add only those dependencies that are required to buld and run the
> package and leave optional dependencies to the user?

You mean, something à la gentoo linux. I second this, but the problem is
that adding "options" for packages requires more maintenance --
different PLISTs for different options, possible dependancies on a
package with particular options, etc.

Cheers,
--
Julien T. Letessier
Solarpack Project

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail & vCards