Subject: Re: Solaris pkgsrc
To: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/20/2003 10:24:12
--AGZzQgpsuUlWC1xT

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:14:48PM +0200, Julien T. Letessier wrote:
> Dima Veselov wrote:
> >
> >2. What should be done with ld, maybe some Solaris patches requires
> >to be applied?
>=20
> You're using Sun's ld, and this breaks a lot of packages. I originally
> used it with pkgsrc, then quickly switched to a GNU compile chain.
> There's a small performance hit (i'd say 5% on average), but then,
> sparcs are fast :)
>=20
> My solution:
>=20
> Install lang/gcc and devel/binutils (which provides ld), and use these
> to build lang/perl5 or lang/perl58 and security/openssl. GCC 2.95.3 is
> reliable on Solaris.

just a note, we don't support using GNU binutils on Solaris.  i
personally had very bad luck using it (especially on sparc64).  if there
are problems within pkgsrc with Solaris ld, they should be fixed.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --