Subject: Re: java category
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/13/2003 23:25:38
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:45:18AM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 06:39:44PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> > > How about we create a 'java' category?
>
> > Do you have any idea how many packages we have which could go into a
> > "java" category?
>
> Packages that could be moved to a newly created java category:
>
> devel/apache-ant
> devel/eclipse

Eclipse is an IDE, which, although written in Java, can debug and compile
C, C++ and Java. I don't see why it should be in a Java category.

> devel/java-deps
> devel/sablecc
> editors/jde
> lang/blackdown-jre13
> lang/blackdown-jdk13
> lang/jasmin
> lang/jbuilder-jit
> lang/jdk
> lang/jdk-openjit
> lang/jikes
> lang/jini
> lang/joos
> lang/kaffe
> lang/sun-jdk13
> lang/sun-jdk14
> lang/sun-jre13
> lang/sun-jre14
> lang/wonka

> textproc/xalan-j
> textproc/xerces-j
> www/cocoon

These 3 are more to do with web-publishing than Java.

> www/jsdk20
> www/spfc
> x11/swing
>
> Note:  I'm not saying these packages are in the wrong categories as they
> are, but that a primary category of 'java' might be more suitable.
>
> Packages that would then add 'java' to their CATEGORIES but would remain
> where they are:
>
> chat/pircbot
> databases/db4
> databases/java-db3
> databases/jdbc-postgresql
> games/cgoban-java
> graphics/PanoTools
> net/airport2basestationconfig
> net/airportbasestationconfig
> net/airportmodemutility
> net/flan
> net/xnap
> parallel/GridSim
> textproc/crimson
> textproc/fop
> textproc/saxon
> textproc/xp
> textproc/xt
> time/cardboard-schedule
> www/ap-jk
> www/ap-jserv
> www/hiawatha
> www/iasp
> www/jakarta-servletapi
> www/jakarta-tomcat
> www/jssi

Some of these are pushing it a bit - the "airport*" ones for instance
are for configurating Wireless Access Points - that they're written in
Java is not something that many people know or care about.

Regards,
Alistair