Subject: Re: video vs. multimedia [was Re: java category]
To: Thomas Klausner <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2003 19:46:50
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:04:58AM +0930, wrote:
> > Whilst we are at this subject, I again propose to add categories
> > 'gis' and 'video' or 'multimedia'. There are many packages being placed
> > into to categories such as, misc, graphics and sysutils etc., only because an
> > appropriate category isn't available.
> Could you please explain the difference between multimedia and video?
> In particular, which programs would you put in each of them?
> I guess that we have enough packages for one of the two, whichever name
> we choose :)
>  Thomas

audio      = pure audio - audio mixers, editors, cd player, streamers etc.
multimedia = mixed media -  multimedia players, streamer and servers etc.
video      = pure video - video codecs, video processing etc.
graphics   = pure graphics - paint programs, graphics manipulation etc.

just to wet the appetite.

There are plenty of packages for each of the categories...

cheerio Berndt