Subject: Re: java category
To: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2003 10:40:31
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:04:58AM +0930, wulf@ping.net.au wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How about we create a 'java' category?  That way, we could have
> > even more JDKs/JREs without getting too confusing.  For example,
> > Sun JDK 1.4.2, which is available in pkgsrc-wip, requires -current, so
> > replacing 1.4.1 would probably not be a good idea.  But we could install
> > it alongside into ${PREFIX}/java/sun-1.4.2
> >
> > Cleaning up the different JDKs/JREs and shuffle some packages around
> > that would fit into a new 'java' category might clean up things a bit.
> >
> > -Jan
>
> This makes sense and has my support.
>
> Whilst we are at this subject, I again propose to add categories
> 'gis' and 'video' or 'multimedia'. There are many packages being placed
> into to categories such as, misc, graphics and sysutils etc., only because an
> appropriate category isn't available.

In pkgsrc, the policy is that we get the packages first, then create
the category, not the other way around.  So if you could give figures
for all these packages, it would help.  "multimedia" I could believe
would be a good category to have, "video" too, but "gis" I'm a bit
doubtful about, since I can't remember that many geographical packages
in pkgsrc, but maybe my recollections are out of date.

Regards,
Alistair