Subject: Re: java category
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2003 10:37:10
On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 06:39:44PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How about we create a 'java' category?  That way, we could have
> even more JDKs/JREs without getting too confusing.  For example,
> Sun JDK 1.4.2, which is available in pkgsrc-wip, requires -current, so
> replacing 1.4.1 would probably not be a good idea.  But we could install
> it alongside into ${PREFIX}/java/sun-1.4.2
>
> Cleaning up the different JDKs/JREs and shuffle some packages around
> that would fit into a new 'java' category might clean up things a bit.

Do you have any idea how many packages we have which could go into a
"java" category? If we have enough, then we'll have critical mass, and
it would be a good thing to do, IMO.

I'm just a bit worried that people might start looking for Java programs
in that category, and, in pkgsrc, we've always strived to place things
in categories by functionality, rather than the programming language of
the source. (Yes, I know we can get these things wrong, but, usually, if
there's doubt, we'll add the other categories to the CATEGORIES line in
the package Makefile, so that we'll get the package in the right binary
package category).

Regards,
Alistair