Subject: Re: java category
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@NetBSD.org>
From: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/11/2003 09:04:58
> Hi all,
>
> How about we create a 'java' category?  That way, we could have
> even more JDKs/JREs without getting too confusing.  For example,
> Sun JDK 1.4.2, which is available in pkgsrc-wip, requires -current, so
> replacing 1.4.1 would probably not be a good idea.  But we could install
> it alongside into ${PREFIX}/java/sun-1.4.2
>
> Cleaning up the different JDKs/JREs and shuffle some packages around
> that would fit into a new 'java' category might clean up things a bit.
>
> -Jan

This makes sense and has my support.

Whilst we are at this subject, I again propose to add categories
'gis' and 'video' or 'multimedia'. There are many packages being placed
into to categories such as, misc, graphics and sysutils etc., only because an
appropriate category isn't available.

cheerio Berndt