Subject: Re: java category
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2003 23:35:31
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:03:12 -0400, Jan Schaumann <jschauma@NetBSD.org>
wrote:
> Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Jan Schaumann wrote:
>
> > > How about we create a 'java' category?
>
> > What's wrong with 'lang' ? Adding sun-jre142/sun-jdk142 isn't really
> > problematic, is it?
>
> No, of course not.  But it seems to me that 'java' should be it's own
> category.  There are quite a few applications that could belong to such
> a category which would make it easier for people to find an application.

It's not clear, is it?  I've often thought the same of Perl and Python
modules.  On one hand, I normally say to myself, hmm, I bet there's a Perl
module for that (or, more often, I *know* there's a perl module and wonder
if it's in pkgsrc).  On the other hand, if I'm looking for some kind of
XML processor, do I care if it's in Java or Perl or C++?  Not very much,
or a lot, depending on what I have in mind.

On the third hand, I don't understand why the two-level hierarchy gets
special status.  It would be nicer to be able to look for "perl modules
that do graphics" (or not).

Anyway, Perl dominates much more than Java:

$ pwd; \
  for d in [a-z]*; \
	do printf "%20s\t%2d\n" $d \
		 `ls -d $d/p5* 2>/dev/null |wc -l` ;\