Subject: Re: java category
To: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/10/2003 19:59:41
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:04:58AM +0930, wulf@ping.net.au wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How about we create a 'java' category?  That way, we could have
> > even more JDKs/JREs without getting too confusing.  For example,
> > Sun JDK 1.4.2, which is available in pkgsrc-wip, requires -current, so
> > replacing 1.4.1 would probably not be a good idea.  But we could install
> > it alongside into ${PREFIX}/java/sun-1.4.2
> >
> > Cleaning up the different JDKs/JREs and shuffle some packages around
> > that would fit into a new 'java' category might clean up things a bit.
> >
> > -Jan
>
> This makes sense and has my support.

I agree. I've wondered for a while why there wasn't a pkgsrc/java (and I've
accidentally tried to cd there several times ;)

> Whilst we are at this subject, I again propose to add categories
> 'gis' and 'video' or 'multimedia'. There are many packages being placed
> into to categories such as, misc, graphics and sysutils etc., only because an
> appropriate category isn't available.

I agree here as well. Things such as mplayer, which will happily play audio
as well, should go in the multimedia category, but that is just my opinion.

my $0.02

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII