Subject: Re: JAVA
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/06/2003 00:16:26
In article <3F303CD2.40ACE890@bom.gov.au>, Paul NCC/CS <pts@bom.gov.au> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>we at the Aus Bureau of Met are putting a box together that
>will serve web pages of climate data for the Australian climate
>archive.
>
>The opportunity exists to make this a netbsd machine.
>Trouble is the web guys tell me they need jdk 1.4 and the
>ports tree only shows jdk 1.1.  Bummer.
>
>Is jdk 1.4 just around the corner?
>Any other suggestions?

The linux emulated 1.4.2 works on NetBSD current, minus a small bug
that caused NullPointerException threads to bomb out. The native 1.4
is in the works (compiles, runs simple tests, but does not self-host),
but as I am the only one working on don't expect a stable version soon.
My first priority is to make the emulated java work perfectly first.

christos