Subject: Re: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: Nate Hill <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2003 16:32:22
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Nate Hill wrote:

> > Many packages already do this :)
> Can you give me an example?

> I do not have the experience required to implement a USE_GTK
> infrastructure. However, if you can give me an example of conditions
> in Makefiles and, and some USE_* methods I am more than willing to
> convert some packages...

I assume you already have pkgsrc installed. Have a look at anyone of the
Makefiles (and maybe patches/) for the packages I referenced in my
earlier email.

For example, see chat/bitchx/Makefile.

In regards to the misc/kdepim3, you should try something there, like:

.if defined(KDEPIM_USE_PILOT) && !empty(KDEPIM_USE_PILOT:M[Yy][Ee][Ss])
.  include "../../comms/pilot-link-libs/"
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--without-pilot

The above is just a guess. I don't know what it does to disable it. You
will have to read the docs or source for it.

   Jeremy C. Reed