Subject: Consistent "Optional Dependecy" handling
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/31/2003 16:59:49
I'm probably asking an irrelevant question but, is there any standard
method for disabling/enabling/preferring specific dependencies which
are optional with respect the package.

For instance:

[root@cryogen ~] pkg_delete esound
pkg_delete: package `esound-0.2.29nb1' is required by other packages:
        kdemultimedia-3.1.2nb2
        xine-lib-1.0rc10nb4
[root@cryogen ~] pkg_delete gtk+
pkg_delete: package `gtk+-1.2.10nb5' is required by other packages:
        kdegraphics-3.1.2nb1
[root@cryogen ~]

I find it humorous that kdegraphics is the only package depending on
GTK+ on my entire system. Is there a consistent way to disable use of
GTK+ in packages which do not _require_ it? For instance can I set
something like USE_GTK=YES|NO or PREFER_GTK2=YES|NO in mk.conf?
Another example is kdepim which currently requires pilot-link-libs, I
know that it can be built without this library and without the KPilot
tool.

Anyways, I'm looking for something similar to Gentoo's "USE Flags"
system...

Anyone?

--
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>