Subject: Re: Report on broken packages, gcc3 on sparc64
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: leam <leam@reuel.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/17/2003 05:18:31
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:34:40PM -0400, leam wrote:
>
>>Before I do the next build I'll update the kernel and pkgsrc, so any
>>fixes made will be automatically gotten.
>

> I think the most important think to fix is the gcc3 pkg (the missing __GNUC__
> define). Then I notice that even perl 5.6.1 fails to build for you - thats
> kinda suprise, since it worked fine for me last time I tried (while newer
> perls have big trouble on sparc64).
>
> I was going to check perl5.8.1 (or the pre-release) with gcc3, but since
> that pkg is completely useless right now I droped that ball for now ;-)
> I'll pick it up again, once gcc works.
>
> Martin

Yeah, the gcc3 was a pain. I had to build it manually, which only build
gmake. Then I had to go into the specific "c" package and build that.

On the other hand, I understand the concerns others may have about
breaking up the gcc3 build so they don't have to compile languages they
don't want. Doesn't linux have the "--with-lang" flag, so you have a
single make file but you can pick the languages, or --with-all (or
something like that) if you really do want everything.

As long as the bulk process picks up the "right" behavior I'll let
others decide. It isn't that critical to me at the moment.

ciao!

leam