Subject: Libtool --preserve-dup-deps
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Martin J. Laubach <mjl+usenet-2003-05@emsi.priv.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/13/2003 14:50:42
  I'm wondering what the --preserve-dup-deps switch that we
explicitely patch into libtool is for.

  While compiling gnucash, this has produced a command line that
was literally several screen pages, full of "-lm -lm -lm -lm -lm
-lintl -lm -lm -lm -lm -lintl -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm...",
which even fails to link, probably because of the length of the
command line.

  Removing the "--preserve-dup-deps" from libtool makes gnucash
compile and even run correctly.

  What does this switch accomplish then, for what packages is
it really necessary, and wouldn't the world be a better place
if it were turned on for those packages instead of wholesale?

	mjl