Subject: Re: pkg/17776
To: Julien T. Letessier <mezis@free.fr>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/2003 07:23:21
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Julien T. Letessier wrote:

: > as we all know, /usr/bin/{awk,sed} on Solaris are insufficient for
: > pkgsrc use, and for a lot of individual packages, too.
: >
: > where we know certain tools are insufficient, yet a suitable version
: > exists elsewhere (eg. nawk, xpg4, etc.), we should unconditionally
: > link these into the buildlink/bin directory. this means splitting
: > some of g{awk,sed}/buildlink2.mk out into mk/.
:
: Though it might be a lot of work, this is seducing. Perhaps something a la
: pthread could be suitable, e.g.

I don't know if a config option needs to go this far for most programs.
Solaris is "Special" in that /usr/bin contains a bunch of commands that are
not standards compliant (because they are emulating historic SunOS 4
behaviors).  Solaris has a couple facilities for working around this,
including /usr/xpg4/bin (XPG/SUS compatible, including "sh") and /usr/ucb
(4.2BSD compatible, such as for "install").

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>