Subject: Editing and rebuiding the pkgdb.byfile.db by hand
To: None <>
From: Todd Gruhn <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/11/2003 02:31:15
I keep getting this nasty error:

gandalf# pkg_info mit-pthreads
Information for mit-pthreads-1.60b6:

ERROR: show_file: Can't open '+COMMENT' for reading!

ERROR: show_file: Can't open '+DESC' for reading!

I believe it is because of this lack of data that I cannot
use 'pkg_admin rebuild' to rebuild the database -- it chokes
whe it hits the mit-pthreads entries. And I cannot delete and
do a make; reinstall GRRR!

Is it possible to edit the dumped database (have that)
and reconvert said dumped-database-file back into a *.db
file? Probably most important Q to ask here is: Is it
a Berkeley DB file, and how would I create that using the
BerkeleyDB Perl module? Has anyone tried this before?

Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at has over 400,000 jobs. Be smarter about your job search