Subject: Re: libiconv package broken?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?C=E9sar_Catri=E1n?= <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/09/2003 14:56:36
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:47:58AM -0500, César Catrián wrote:
>  --- Thomas Klausner <> escribió: > On
> Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 12:11:50AM -0500, César
> > Catrián wrote:
> Sorry! I didn't express myself correctly.
> My primary language is spanish. I need the letters
> aeiou with accent and the letter n with a tilde.
> My LC_ALL is set to es_ES.ISO8859-1
> Now, I can't do the conversion to UTF-8 in right way.
> % echo ñ (n with tilde) | iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8
>  ñ (A with a tilde and the sign + over a -)
> It fails doing the conversion.

The point is, it *doesn't* fail. The output is perfectly
correct. You don't see a n with a tilde because the terminal
doesn't know it gets UTF-8.

With an UTF-8 capable terminal, the n with tilde from the echo
command would either not be displayed ($'\xf1', the ISO8859-1
code, is not a valid UTF-8 code) or be bogus input for the
iconv command.

I hope I'm being clear. Your error is somewhere else, maybe in
centericq not correctly initialising charset values for input
and output, or advertising a different charset than what it

Quentin Garnier.