Subject: Serious Arts problems
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2003 23:12:53
	Well, I'm posting this to the lists incase somebody has experienced this
and/or has a solution.  I built KDE-3.1.2 using the kde3 "wrapper" package
and everything installed smoothly.  Artsd starts without any problems and
plays "notifications" fine. I have two problems though:  Artsd apparently
only plays .wav files and no other packages find arts when compiling (another
thing: artsdsp doesn't work, all programs core dump).
	As previously stated artsd plays kde notifications fine but, nothing else.  I
have tried to play .mp3 and .ogg files in noatun unsuccessfully (it just soft
hangs in a "play" state but, makes no decoding progress) however, I can play
all .wav files through noatun.  I beleive this is an arts problem not noatun
because sound previews don't work either (purely arts, right?).  I would test
with another player if not for my second problem.
	When building other multimedia packages (mplayer, xmms) the arts includes are
not found by configure.  For instance: mplayer did not build with arts output
and neither did xmms.  I tried a hack with xmms which did not work: I
modified the Makefile to pass --enable-arts to configure - this caused a
build fail when the xmms-arts plugin tried to include arts headers that
didn't exist.  I would also try playing other formats with another player via
artsdsp however, this isn't working.  I've tried mpg123 and xmms but, they
both give Segmentation fault errors.

--
Nate Hill <vugdeox@freeshell.org>