Subject: Re: boost libraries packages
To: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
From: felix zaslavskiy <felix@students.poly.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/24/2003 19:34:01
On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 17:53, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:19:30PM -0400, felix zaslavskiy wrote:
> > I like to use the boost libraries for some of my own apps and it seems
> > the boost library is outdated in package system.
> >
> > I had success compiling (including thread,and pythong) all libraries
> > using current and gcc3.3 package.  I only needed very minor patch to get
> > it all compiled.  I was unable to compile the thread library on
> > netbsd1.6 although i will pock around a bit more. I will run regression
> > tests to make sure things work.
> >
> > I like to make the packages if there is interest. I like to basicaly
> > split up the collection into.
> > boost-base (including header libraries and configuration)
> > boost-thread (may not be available on netbsd1.6)
> > boost-python
> >
> > I think spliting things up is more reasonable then bundling all the
> > libraries togerther or not including compiled libaries at all.

I am learning more an more about some issues involved in getting boost
fully functional with netbsd.

1. wchar_t
I run the boost regression tests and there were some failures.
One issue involves lack of proper wchar_t support for netbsd. Boost was
having a problem with this because WCHAR_MIN/MAX were not defined. Tests
for regex library also refused to compile. Essentialy FreeBSD having the
same problem and they worked in a fix so it should not be to difficult
to place similar fix into Netbsd from FreeBSD.

2. pthread
Boost.thread didnt want to compile with Gnu pth on netbsd1.6 but at
least it compiled fine on current with native threads.  The tests are
yet to compile but i think i need to look into it more and configure the
boost libraries properly.

3. a few tests failed in couple of places i dont know weather of
misconfigured boost or a bug in the compiler or simply unsupported c++
standard feature.  I may have to test with GCC3.2.2 and basicaly manualy
knock out the problems and see what i can do.

Good news i have free time now so may take me some time but i think i
have the library ready by next week sometime.

> Yes!  Please create packages for them (and I think the decision to split
> them up is a good idea).  You can commit them to pkgsrc-wip
> (http://pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net/) in the meantime to get them tested.
> I find the Boost libraries to be extremely useful complements to the
> Standard C++ Library.

Thanks will try it out, but i will test thorouly localy first.

felix