Subject: Re: HEADS UP: new info files, install-info and makeinfo framework
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Stoned Elipot <seb@starfleet.univ-paris7.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/2003 12:38:51
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 11:42:35PM +0200, Stoned Elipot wrote:
[SNIP]
> * The build and install process of the package must use the right
> install-info and makeinfo commands. Two scenarii exist:
[SNIP]
>  * The package does not use the buildlink2 framework and then some
>  care must be taken.
>  The package creator/maintainer should ensure that the software build
>  and installation process pick up the environment variables MAKEINFO
>  and INSTALL_INFO to invoke the right commands:
>
> 	** ${TRUE} for INSTALL_INFO, intended to be a no-operation;
>
> 	** ${FALSE} -intended to serve as a missing USE_MAKEINFO trap-
> 	or the pathname to the right makeinfo command for MAKEINFO
> 	according to the value of USE_MAKEINFO.

Hi,
One remark.

Running install-info to register an info file in the Info directory
file is an idempotent operation. So one does not really need
to take care that install-info is not called during the install
step of a _non_ buildlink2 package.

This should not really cause trouble on platforms that lack install-info
(and so must use pkg_install-info) because most the time we're dealing
with automake generated Makefile that contain something like the following:

  @if (install-info --version && \
        install-info --version | fgrep -i -v debian) >/dev/null 2>&1; then \
        list='$(INFO_DEPS)'; \
        for file in $$list; do \
          echo " install-info --info-dir=$(DESTDIR)$(infodir) --remove $(DESTDIR)$(infodir)/$$file"; \
          install-info --info-dir=$(DESTDIR)$(infodir) --remove $(DESTDIR)$(infodir)/$$file; \
        done; \
   else :; fi

So either install-info exists (and is not debian's one) and a first
install-info run is done (the INSTALL script while run another one after that,
the "normal" one in NEW_TEXINFO framework) either install-info does not exists
but the install target will not fail (and of course the INSTALL script
with pkg_install-info will do its jobs).

Hence you will note in upcoming conversion commits of mine that for
automake'd and _not_ builldink2'ed pkg I did not bother to provide patches
for neutralizing install-info in the software's Makefiles...

Of for makeinfo caution still apply.

Cheers, Stoned.