Subject: Re: Can we trim the fat from gcc3, please?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/22/2003 14:20:38
On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:10:04PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> It's especially vexing, to me, that the package builds easily out of
> the box, while pkgsrc and buildlink cause it to pick up extra
> dependencies in $LOCALBASE, contrary to buildlink's stated purpose.

"builds easily out of the box" is somewhat misleading in this
context. yes, if you use --prefix=${LOCALBASE}, it may build cleanly,
but it _will_ look in prefix/{include,lib} when you use it.

this is utterly broken, and the reason we do not put it in
${LOCALBASE}.

in short, it is a gcc problem (just like the lack of implicit rpath
to find it's own libraries!). it is exposed by the way we "hide"
includes and libs.

g.