Subject: Re: viewCVS and Subversion.... and mod_python and Apache2 and libtool !
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/17/2003 01:06:40
"Jean-Luc Wasmer" <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca> writes:

> > > To run viewCVS on Apache2 (SVN needs Apache2), I need to install
> > > mod_python 3 or higher. The only mod_python package available is
> > > mod_python 2.7.6 for Apache 1.x).
> >
> > Whoa there, not true by any stretch of the imagination.  I didn't
> > even know it worked with mod_python.  Standard viewcvs
> > installations use CGI.
>
> I know... like there's no mod_sh for shell script CGIs.
> Let me rephrase:
> "To have the maximum performance with viewCVS on Apache2 (SVN needs
> Apache2), I need to install mod_python 3 or higher."

You should have been more clear.  I was only trying to help
someone who seemed to be confused about ViewCVS's requirements.

> OK. But first I need to have a successful install.

Obviously.

> > This appears to be the problem:
> >
> > 0 ap2-python% pkg_info -L python22-2.2.2 | grep libpython
> > /usr/pkg/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a
> >
> > Why don't we have a shared libpython?  What do other systems
> > have?  libtool is right to refuse to link this static archive
> > into the shared object it is building.  You cannot portably put
> > non-PIC code into a shared object.  Or does libpython2.2.a
> > contain PIC code?
>
> Well it's not a libtool archive.

There is no such animal.  .la and .al files are sh fragments.
Libtool works perfectly fine with libraries that don't have .la
files.  The problem is that libtool wants a dynamic libpython
before it will build a dynamic mod_python.so.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett