Subject: viewCVS and Subversion.... and mod_python and Apache2 and libtool !
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2003 23:21:26
I'm trying to install viewCVS to browse a Subversion repository.

ViewCVS is not in the pkg collection.

To run viewCVS on Apache2 (SVN needs Apache2), I need to install mod_python
3 or higher. The only mod_python package available is mod_python 2.7.6 (for
Apache 1.x).

I tried to install mod_python 3.0.3 but I get these errors:

- During "make":

*** Warning: This library needs some functionality provided by -lpython2.2.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module mod_python.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.

- During "make install":

Performing DSO installation.

/usr/bin/install -c src/mod_python.so /usr/pkg/lib/httpd
install: src/mod_python.so: stat: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

The Mod_python FAQ says about this last error:

This is a problem with libtool. Apache comes with its own copy of libtool,
and the version which comes with Apache 2.0.43 is old for some reason. To
fix this problem, you need to first make sure that you a have a recent
libtool ("libtool --version" should show 1.4.2 or later), then recompile
Apache by first rerunning ./buildconf like this:

 $ ./buildconf
 $ ./configure --your-config-args
 $ make clean ; make
 $ make install

And finally rebuild mod_python with

 $ ./configure
 $ make clean ; make

My version of libtool is:
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4a (1.641.2.255 2001/05/22 10:39:30)

or from pkg_info:
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb14 Generic shared library support script (the
script itself)

Before I upgrade libtool, reinstall everything and eventually screw up my
system, can someone confirm that this might work?

JL