Subject: Re: Can we trim the fat from gcc3, please?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: James Chacon <jmc@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/15/2003 18:26:10

>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Todd Vierling wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>>
>> : 2) It makes it hard to test and troubleshoot the "gcc3" package
>> : itself.
>>
>> Huh?
>
>The whole thing takes almost three hours to build on a dual PIII/500.
>Just c and c++ takes about 30 minutes (as I recall).

If time is the only problem here then let's remove openoffice, kde and
gnome while we're at since those take considerably longer than gcc to build...

The fact is, some packages are big. I think the most that should be done is
the typical variable (which can be overriden) that defines the default set
of languages. For here C, C++, fortran are definitly ones in use in pkgsrc
and while java is big it is something useful down the road.

James