Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/13/2003 11:55:44
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 05:38:53PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
  | [ On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 13:07:16 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
  | > Subject: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
  | >
  | > Before I send-pr patches for pkgsrc/mk/bsd.pkg.mk and pkg_install's
  | > files/add/perform.c, I have some questions.
  | >
  | > This is in regards to having an option to email the +DISPLAY messages when
  | > doing a pkg_add (and emailing the MESSAGEs when doing a "make
  | > install").
  |
  | I think that in general e-mailing these messages is the most useless
  | thing you could possibly do.

On the other hand, I would find this concept as a useful optional
feature, and I've seen a lot of other people express a desire for
a similar feature.

I'd find it much quicker to scan a bunch of mail than have to
find all the recently installed packages and run pkg_info against
them to find out about any "gotchas" post install.

Jeremy; don't be discourage by Greg, who as you probably know, has a
reputation of attempting to bury ideas that don't fit exactly to his
world view.