Subject: Re: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/11/2003 17:38:53
[ On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 13:07:16 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: emailing MESSAGE/+DISPLAY
> Before I send-pr patches for pkgsrc/mk/ and pkg_install's
> files/add/perform.c, I have some questions.
> This is in regards to having an option to email the +DISPLAY messages when
> doing a pkg_add (and emailing the MESSAGEs when doing a "make
> install").

I think that in general e-mailing these messages is the most useless
thing you could possibly do.

Please just have them appended to the +DISPLAY file so that they're always
available in the most logical place.

> dependencies, it is near impossible to remember without saving output and
> searching it, or looking under /var/db/pkg/*/+DISPLAY.

Please try to remember to use "pkg_info -D".  :-)

> Also, what option (and/or environment variable) be used to tell pkg_add to
> email the +DISPLAY too?

$ pkg_info -D pkgname | Mail -s 'install instructions for pkgname' root

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>