Subject: Re: nox11 vs x11
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/07/2003 17:19:43
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:37:57 -0400 (EDT), "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com>
wrote:
> Remember these variants are all about making it possible to build binary
> versions of packages that can be installed on systems without X11, and
> even in the case of static linking the ability to build binary packages
> that don't include the X11 bloat when it's not going to be needed/used.
> If we didn't care about binary packages, or if we didn't care about the
> bloat of X11 when it's not needed, then these variants would not be
> necessary.

Is that true?  Isn't it the case that X may change a package's
dependencies?

If I want to build my thing-nox11 and it relies on other-nox11, it's going
to build  other-nox11 first.  There's no way afaik for it to depend on a
generic "other" telling it to exclude X.

The -x11 version may well require GTK or the like.  If there's no -nox11
package, how do I tell the -x11 version not to go off and install GTK for
me first?

--jkl