Subject: Re: is there still need for devel/bmake and devel/mk-files?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2003 21:33:40
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:17:19 -0500 (CDT)
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:

> > > Where does "pkg_add" come from? Is there a RedHat rpm for it?
> >
> > I packaged pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install on a different system, placed it on
> > a local FTP site (and on CDs) along with numerous other packages. I use
> > these packages for my own Linux (but are useful for basically any Linux).
>
> So why don't you build bootstrap-pkgsrc on that system, and tar that up?
> "pkg_add" isn't enough to begin to use "pkgsrc" -- ergo "bootstrap-pkgsrc".

[ warning, this is a two minutes idea :p ]

I think we could do like what debian does with its base system.  That is,
the bootstrap-pkgsrc .tgz could contain a package database registering the
packages in it (like bmake, pax, etc).  This way, after you have unpacked
it, if you run pkg_list you could see what's already installed (bootstrap
packages) and update them when needed.  The only problem with this is that
the package database should be placed inside the tgz (i.e., inside PREFIX
and not /var)...

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>