Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/graphics/plotutils
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/06/2003 08:15:43
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> > > If X11 is present, set the pkgname to plotutils-x11 and conflict with
> > > plain plotutils (and the other way around).  ok'd by agc.
> >
> > And I see a change from a couple days ago: "if X11 is present, we need the
> > necessary compile and ld flags".
> >
> > I didn't think we did that.
> >
> > What if I want plain plotutils?
>
> If you have X installed, why not use it in this application as well?

Because packages are used on different systems. (And what about the build
systems?)

(In my case, I may choose to use plotutils on my non-X systems with
nhfsgraph from my linux-nfs-utils to graph NFS loads.)

> > Why not two different pkgsrc like graphics/plotutils and
> > graphics/plotutils-nox11 (or plotutils and plotutils-x11)?
>
> Sure, we could do that.  I thought this would work ok, since this way
> you have essentially two packages, but if two completely separate
> packages are preferred...

Yes, please. (Same with gnuplot, I assume, too.)

Or it would be cool to really have one pkgsrc Makefile be able to generate
both (using variables for defining this like OpenBSD port's "flavors").

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/