Subject: devel/dmalloc and ALLOW_ALLOC_ZERO_SIZE
To: None <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/03/2003 09:59:49

I tried using dmalloc on i386 1.6.1ish, and got a:

	ERROR: _chunk_malloc: invalid allocation size
	(err 40)

A bit of googling showed that changing ALLOW_ALLOC_ZERO_SIZE to "1"
fixed the problem for my particular problem.  Here's the blurb from

	 * Should we allow zero length allocations?  This will generate the
	 * smallest possible allocation.
	 * FYI: if fence post checking is requested, the top and bottom of the
	 * fence post information will be touching.

Has anyone else actually used dmalloc without needing to change
this value?

Simon Burge                                   <>
NetBSD Development, Support and Service: