Subject: Re: pkgsrc-wip: please set MAINTAINER to your email address!
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/02/2003 07:13:04
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Julio Merino wrote:

> I want to add a thought: If you have set the MAINTAINER to,
> it seems that you don't want to care about the package.  So... why have you
> provided it in the first term?

In some cases, there is a current need, but maybe the submitter isn't
interested in maintaining for the future.

Maybe they hope that others will choose to maintain it.

> Adding new packages just "to have more" is, IMO, bad, because most of them
> won't have maintainers and will easily become obsolete, buggy or whatever.

Maybe we can make a list of the unmaintained packages and ask for

I have even had package's MAINTAINER field changed away from me (without
any real discussion). So, for a long time I figured that I wasn't allowed
to be a MAINTAINER. So I used for my new packages.

Also, I have packaged up software that is developed by other NetBSD
users/developers -- I hope that they would choose to be the maintainer.

   Jeremy C. Reed