Subject: Re: handling machine-dependent files in syspkg
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/28/2003 12:51:54
Hello,

> You also need to check every package to make sure it is using

Are you talking about syspkgs or pkgsrc here?

> nbinstall to install files into DESTDIR, so that it can work with
> nbpax and METALOG in the same way that src/ uses nbpax and METALOG.
> In addition, you'd probably have to check every package that uses one
> of its own binaries or scripts in its build process to make sure that
> it is modified to work as a host tool.

A layered filesystem (such as unionfs) would be useful in this
situation. Something like per-process mounts would be even more useful
(doing a mount visible only to the "make package" process and its
descendants. I guess Hurd could to it. But I digress... )

> The OpenBSD FAKE approach is to install into a separate DISTDIR, make
> a binary package from that, and then use the pkg_install tools to
> install that binary package.

Yes, that's I was talking about. If you dont'want to install the
package, you just skip the pkg_install phase, and you can do it as
non-root, I guess. Wouldn't this solve the syspkg problem too?

Bye	Pavel