Subject: Re: Upgrade base postfix from pkgsrc?
To: Dan Debertin <airboss@nodewarrior.org>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@www.cynjut.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/20/2003 11:14:00

> Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
>
> > That's not realy needed - just follow the hint from the MESSAGE of the pkg,
> > (pkg_info -D postfix).
> >
> > This leaves a few unused files in the base system, but otherwise does exactly
> > what you want.
>
> That is, in fact, the opposite of what I want.

I've started this argument several times in the past and have yet to come to a
reasonable resolution that doesn't involve me going through the PLIST and
either deinstalling the system's versions of the programs by hand, or installing
the programs from the packages over the base install.

Regardless, OS upgrades will completely destroy your system, so you may as well
just suck it up.  The upgrade from 1.6 to 1.6.1 will ruin all of your carefully
crafted system software.  Of course, none of it really useful - I mean, it's
only stupid stuff like sendmail, named, and postfix.  It's not like anyone would
want to use current versions of those when the three year old version in the
source should be perfectly fine.

> My preference -- and I doubt that I'm in the minority here -- would be
> not to have duplicate configurations and executables scattered around
> the system. It's system clutter, cruft.
>
> I can just see myself (or another person who has inherited the system) 2
> years down the road editing /etc/postfix/main.cf, running
> '/etc/rc.d/postfix reload' and wondering why my changes never take
> effect..
>
> Oh well. If I have to do it by hand, so be it.

Until those of us that use pkgsrc can make it clear to the pcksrc royalty
that we are trying to use this system, there will never be a change.  Every
six months I bring this up (or join in again) and every time I end up being
told that I'm just too stupid to undertand the subtle superiority of having
incompatible versions of these packages laying around.

BTW - My favorite example is 'sendmail', which the system startup scripts
call by path, thereby guaranteeing my system will fail after a OS level
upgrade.

In other words, don't hope for too much.  No matter how much we complain,
the pkgsrc gods will continue to ignore our pleas and give us exactly what
they have deemed we need.