Subject: shared library lookup system (was Re: pth-2.0.0 update)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/02/2003 08:08:46
On Fri, 2 May 2003, Todd Vierling wrote:

> The way to fix this is not to bump PKGREVISION at will:  instead, it's
> necessary to have binary packages prefer a specific set of package versions
> and/or use a shared library lookup system (yes, this is where RPM has an
> advantage, and has been a known pkgsrc problem for a long time).

Can you tell us more about this RPM shared library lookup system?

Or any URLs for this?

Also, does anyone have any comments or suggestions for implementing this
in pkgsrc?

(By the way, I have had people try to convince me to RPM-based OpenPKG
instead of pkgsrc for my Linux systems.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/