Subject: make replace and UPDATE_TARGET=package
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/28/2003 10:14:38
I have UPDATE_TARGET=package in /etc/mk.conf, since I usually want to
make binary packages for use on other machines.

I used 'make replace' to update tiff from 3.5.7 to 3.5.7nb1 (guessing
that was a safe use of make replace), and didn't get a binary
package.  I was able to then do 'make package' (replace doesn't clean,
but update does, it seems).  I read bsd.pkg.mk and did not find
anything like REPLACE_TARGET.

It would be nice if either there were REPLACE_TARGET, or replace
respected UPDATE_TARGET.  Perhaps if REPLACE_TARGET is not set, and
UPDATE_TARGET is, REPLACE_TARGET should get set to UPDATE_TARGET.  I
suspect that people either in general want binary packages left around
from all package builds, or consider them cruft and generally don't
want them.

It seems odd that update cleans and replace doesn't.  To me, these are
similar operations, except that replace also saves the old package and
recurse to dependencies.  But I see that replace puts the old package
bits in work/.

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>