Subject: Re: [ vmware ] - "abort trap" really too often...
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel.carnat@noos.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/23/2003 16:44:32
hum... I currently have 512Mo and tell VMware to only use 64Mo : (memsize =
=3D 64)
How could I limit more ? Is there a system command ?

On the last episode, Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> said:

> Random idea - did you limit the amount of memory virtual machine
> can use? I had problems with Windows XP install inside VMware
> until I reduced the limits to be small enough to not consume
> all physical memory. After that, I don't have any runtime
> issues using VMware 3.2.
>=20
> Jaromir
>=20
> Joel CARNAT wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> > has anyone faced (and solve) a recurrent "abort trap" problem ?
> > the error is
> > ************
> > vmmon: Vmx86_DestroyVM: unlocked pages: 978908, unlocked dirty pages: 6=
72295
> > ************
> >=20
> > I checked the ACPI problem, but I have to right hal.dll...
> > VMware keeps dying (or making windows reboot rebooting) really really o=
ften...
> >=20
> > any idea ?
> >=20
> > thanks for answers,
> > 	Jo
> >=20
> > PS - my conf is :
> > NetBSD atheria 1.6.1 NetBSD 1.6.1 (ATHERIA-$Revision: 1.3.0 $) #0: Tue =
Apr 22 21:49:30 CEST 2003     root@:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ATHERIA =
i386
> > <- this is a laptop
> >=20
> > XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (cvs from xsrc)
> > Release Date: 27 February 2003
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> > Build Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.6.1 [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, =
Inc.
> > Build Date: 22 April 2003
> >=20
> > vmware-module-1.2   Kernel modules for the VMware 2.x emulator
> > suse_vmware-7.3     Linux compatibility package to support running VMwa=
re
> > vmware-2.0.4        VMware 2.x emulator
> >=20
> > my /etc/mk.conf contains (in case it can be a compil. problem)
> > CFLAGS+=3D                -O2 -march=3Di686 -mcpu=3Di686
> > CXXFLAGS+=3D              -O2 -march=3Di686 -mcpu=3Di686
> > COPTS+=3D                 -O2 -mcpu=3Di686 \
> >                         -fexpensive-optimizations \
> >                         -ffast-math \
> >                         -fmemoize-lookups \
> >                         -fthread-jumps \
> >                         -m486 \
> >                         -finline-functions
> >=20
>=20
> --=20
> Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>            http://www.NetBSD.org/
> -=3D- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the tantric    -=
=3D-
> -=3D- Buddhist masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you -=
=3D-
> -=3D- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''     -=
=3D-

--=20
Cordialement,
Joel CARNAT
Exploitation NOOS - Services niveau III
T=E9l : 01 69 19 51 06
Mail : joel.carnat@noos.com
In theory, there is no difference between
theory and practice; in practice, however,
there is.
                               Yogi Berra