Subject: Packages requiring a threaded X
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2003 21:16:47
Hi all,

I've built x11/xosd on NetBSD 1.6.1.  And my surprise was this:

darkstar$ osd_cat
Error initializing osd: xlib is not thread-safe

So this package is unusable on a NetBSD system without threads.
But marking the package as broken on NetBSD < 1.6M (or N?) seems the
wrong way to go, as people running current with threads may have an
X Window system built without threads.

The right way may be to make the package detect if the actual X system
has been compiled with threads... but is it there any way to do it
within pkgsrc? Maybe running ldd on the xlib library and greping the

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -