Subject: Packages requiring a threaded X
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/22/2003 21:16:47
Hi all,

I've built x11/xosd on NetBSD 1.6.1.  And my surprise was this:

darkstar$ osd_cat
Error initializing osd: xlib is not thread-safe

So this package is unusable on a NetBSD system without threads.
But marking the package as broken on NetBSD < 1.6M (or N?) seems the
wrong way to go, as people running current with threads may have an
X Window system built without threads.

The right way may be to make the package detect if the actual X system
has been compiled with threads... but is it there any way to do it
within pkgsrc? Maybe running ldd on the xlib library and greping the
result?

Thanks.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>