Subject: Re: pan claims missing crtend.o (xs4) [pkgsrc news/gtk2-pan ]
To: NetBSD-help list <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Rogier Krieger <rogier@virgiel.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/13/2003 00:39:55
Hi there Soren,

Previous Correspondence from Soren Jacobsen (12:28 12-4-03 -0700):
> Once you have the code, ./build.sh -t, then make obj, make dependall,
> and make install in gnu/usr.bin/ld and you should be good.
> Alternatively, you can pass USETOOLS=no to all of those make commands
> and skip the build.sh -t.

I tried both of your suggestions. Unfortunately, on my 1.6/i386 system,
ld becomes a point-of-failure on subsequent compiles for pkgsrc
packages, claiming - as you mentioned - that the -m option is invalid.

When checking the files on my system after the install from sources,
I get the following differences:

-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel    232156 Sep  8  2002 ld
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel     56972 Apr 13 00:11 ld

The latter is the newly compiled ld versus the original (out-of-the-
comp.tgz for 1.6/i386) ld as I had it before on the former line.

It seems something is missing in the upgrade procedure you
mentioned for ld. I used the following commands, which gave
me the results you obtained as well.

cd /usr/src
cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6
./build.sh -t
make obj
cd gnu/usr/bin/ld
make cleandir dependall
make install

Given the difference in file size, I suspect parts of the ld are
missing, but I am not an expert in this field. Anyone with an
idea as to what is going wrong? (Should I not have tried to
update the ld at all?)

For the sake of completeness, I run a NetBSD/i386 box
with 1.6 on it. My pkgsrc is up-to-date as of early this
evening (April 13th, CEST). In addition, I should be up-to-date
on all security advisories as well.

I hope this helps,

Rogier